Tuesday, July 7, 2015

How many masters can one have?

   This seems to be an easy question, but it leads to interesting questions.  Jesus said, “No one can serve two masters. He will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other.” – [Matthew 6:24]  After all, one master’s commands must take precedence.
   So, who should be our master?  Another easy question.  Our God that is love and died on the cross for love of us.  Can anyone have a better master than an all-powerful being that loves us so completely?  Surely not.  To accept such a master does not take much, if we really know how much God loves us.
   So, how do we accept God as our master?  Jesus once said, “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your selves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.” – [Matthew 11:28-30]  We are to yoke ourselves in obedience to Jesus; what He did and what He told us to do.
   Can we yoke ourselves multiple times?  This is an easy question, but leads to difficult concerns.  No, we cannot yoke ourselves multiple times.  To do so would be trying to serve two masters, which one cannot do.
   Now, comes a very difficult concern.  I merely point out the fact.  To omit it would be uncharitable of me.  The meaning of the word yoga is to yolk.  This may seem difficult, but what does yoga yolk one to?  Interestingly enough, yoga seems to be about discovering oneself.  Perhaps, I am wrong (hopefully, I am wrong).  It seems like yoga is about yoking one to oneself.  In a sense, it sounds like accepting yourself as your own god.
   It would be great if yoga connected us to God, but it seems to be a self-centered practice from everything that I read.  (Again, hopefully, I am wrong.)  The concerns with yoga is yoking ourselves to someone or something other than God.  If you had to choose between yoga and God, which would you choose?
   Who is your master?

Love without truth is no longer love at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment